Thursday, November 26, 2009

Snowdrops


I really love these snowdrops. A snowdrop plant looks like three drops of milk hanging from a stem. This accounts for the Latin name Galanthus which means milk-white flowers. They said these Snowdrop bulbs, are originally from Britain but actually they came from the easterm Mediteranean countries specifically Asia Minor. They are scientifically called Galanthus and many species occupy the genus. So i must have pictured maybe endemic species because i got it from the wild below the snowcapped Taurus mountains of Ibradi in Antalya, Turkey. For a previous Slideshow of these flowers i placed it here. These are temperate flowers and i found mine at the rooftop of Mediteranean. They are the earliest flowering bulbs because they don't wait for the snowcaps to fully melt before they sprout.

The other flowers in my slideshow might not be snowdrops, but i took all photos of seemingly snowdrops from the site, they are very beautiful also. Please forgive me because this is the first time i came face to face with snowdrops. Please take a look at the slideshow, the other small flowers are enchanting also. There is a story behind my trip to the Snowdrop Festival.



The white flower is the snowdrop, the yellow at the side i don't know
A hybrid snowdrop photo from: http://www.copyright-free-photos.org.uk/ as used by http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=5003023115854661475&postID=1756033998119586665
More snowdrop links: http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/aboutflowers/wildflowers/snow-drop
I love their style of describing snowdrops here: http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/months/january_snowdrops.htm

2 comments:

  1. This pretty little flower has a nice name. Snowdrops. I like this. You have a very nice slide show too. How I wish I can create a slide show too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Autumn Belle, you are better than I in following computers' language. I did mine a long time ago, and to tell you frankly i don't know if i can do it again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me to post more, and our conversations make life and gardening more meaningful.

However, Anonymous comments and personal back links give me problems, so i don't publish them. Anonymous + back links = SPAM = DELETE

Related Posts with Thumbnails