Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Tourist's Afternoon Walk at Albert Park


Albert Park is the most accessible park near central Auckland. Its location at the heart of the Central Business District, its long history and distinctive character made it an important destination for visitors. It is reached through many routes from the Queen Street. While my sister was attending their office Christmas Party near Queen St, i allowed myself to wander at this park. I approached via the Wellesly Street East to Bowen Ave and Kitchener St. Here is the Auckland Art Gallery, which i didn't enter because it is about to close, and i need half day at the least to appreciate the things inside. This route leads to a steep, wide cemented stairway then through native trees to the large flat area at the summit, where formal layout of paths and flower gardens encircle a fountain, Albert Park.

The Physical Structures


one of the oldest trees planted in this area

 the Clock Tower of the old Government House, now the University of Auckland

 the Sky Tower is very visible from Albert Park

Gardeners'Cottage

 The Auckland Art Gallery
 
the front of the Auckland Art Gallery, where there was light show display that week


Auckland Art Gallery is located next to Auckland University and shares its outdoor space with Albert Park. 

Plants and Flowers

I was so thrilled with the numerous flowering plants in this park. It provides wonderful subjects to plant photography hobbyists like me. I didn't stop shooting until it is already dusk and time for me to leave. The plants though are not labeled, so i have to content myself with their beauty. They are all temperate plants, and i am only familiar with very few of them. A lot are the blues and the violets, the colors of most temperate climes, in contrast with the tropics for having mostly the warm colors. If only i have a few more days, i will surely be entertained and not get bored by these plants at Albert Park.


 bed of yellow dahlia


                                                         another bed of orange dahlia


 dahlia, aren't those leaves amazing

i don't know this

 violet salvia

butterfly bush





I wish i will know every species i found here. I have the personal inclination or attraction to the blues and violets. Probably, that is because of its lack in numbers here in the tropics. We have a few, but really very few. There are lots more flowers and plants in the park, i just cannot put them all there. 

I didn't also put wide angle shots, as they are very much available also in the internet. I placed here just what really thrilled my, and those that attracted me the most. 

I hope some of my commenters will tell me the identities of these plants. Thank you so much.






7 comments:

  1. One day we'll get a chance to see this place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some beautiful buildings that I didn't know about. And the flowers are just fantastic, too. I am enjoying spring color here in Taranaki also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's most rewarding to explore a new city on foot, you get to see more and get a closer look at things and nature. The orange blooms the first one in your sequence fo flower shots, we have a lot of those around here. I just can't find out what its name is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous flowers! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that huge tree; what history it could tell us! I believe the succulent in the fourth photo from bottom is the same as one I have growing in a pot on my patio. I don't know the botanical name, but the label called it 'Blue Chalk Fingers.' The different types of architecture you show are all interesting. I could live in the gardener's house! (Andrea, if this is a duplicate comment, please delete. I was not sure if the first comment went through.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Albert Park, looks very special, great shots of plants familiar and others not quite so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I miss this?!! Your pictures just confirm to me what a lovely country New Zealand is. My mother-in-law visited some friends there this year and she enjoyed it so much, she is going back again next year!
    I think the flower in your second last picture is the Clustered Bellflower, Campanula glomerata.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me to post more, and our conversations make life and gardening more meaningful.

However, Anonymous comments and personal back links give me problems, so i don't publish them. Anonymous + back links = SPAM = DELETE

Related Posts with Thumbnails